Prompts For A Short Story – Add the prompt text below to your short story. The story can be as long or as short as you like. Once you’ve written it, please post a link to your story in the comments below. We would love to read it. If you ask us, we will give you feedback and hints on how to polish it and make it even better.
After correcting the exam papers for the day, he went to his room. Teaching biology to eighth graders is not an easy task to say the least. In his room there was a small passage leading to a room. Mrs. De Silva turned on the light and went to the closet and opened it with the old key hanging around her neck. The key was so beautifully designed that it looked like a fashion accessory. His eyes widened in fear as he opened the cupboard.
- 1 Prompts For A Short Story
- 2 Short Story Prompts From Openai’s Chatgpt
- 3 Flash Fiction Writing Prompts & Short Story Ideas
- 4 Quick Writing Prompts To Bring Your Character To Life — Derbyshire Writing School
- 5 Short Story Starter Prompts Workbook
Prompts For A Short Story
Need some more writing inspiration? In the comments below, let us know what style you’d like our next prompt to be. Also, check out other writing tips here
Fairy Tale Writing Prompts (with Prompt Generator)
Hello there! My name is Dagny. I am a certified editor and avid writing coach. I work directly with writers who are looking for the right guidance! So, you want to write a short story—and not just a mildly entertaining short story that your readers won’t be able to keep up with until the end.
You want a story that says “Wow!” As is the answer. and “How did you do it?” and “Do you have any more like this?”
And because short stories are short, you have less time to wait for your reader’s response—but less time to hold their attention.
That’s why this little gem is worth its weight in gold at the time of writing.
Short Story Prompts From Openai’s Chatgpt
With the challenges associated with writing a short story, you’ll finish a short story in much less time than a novel.
So, you’ll get to explore more story points in less time than writing for longer.
But how you create short story ideas that will appeal to your readers is worth the time you spend creating a short story.
If you’ve been writing for a long time, you already know that good story ideas are everywhere, and you might even have some in mind as you read this.
Unique Writing Prompts For Adults With Pdf Printable
When it comes to generating new story ideas, you can take more than one approach. You can try these three:
Think back to your school days when your English teacher assigned an essay or invited you to write a paragraph in response to a question.
Maybe you just had to write a complete sentence or maybe your teacher wanted a hyphen – or a rhyming couplet.
School is not the only place for writing exercises. If you’ve ever joined a creative writing group, your leader may have encouraged you to spend some time each day freewriting or writing character sketches.
Fabulous And Fun Descriptive Writing Prompts • Journalbuddies.com
The purpose of writing exercises is to practice writing – or to practice a specific type of writing (voice journaling, essays, persuasive ad copy, song lyrics, etc.).
So, whether it’s NaNoWriMo, Twitter’s #VSS (Very Short Story) challenge, or writing sprints, the more time you spend in these exercises and the more open you are to constructive criticism, the faster you’ll improve. The writing will improve.
The most effective writing prompts and writing exercises use topics with a history of engaging and inspiring others. Because of this, someone might lead you to a story idea that you can’t wait to explore
Take one (or more) of these popular themes and combine them with a topic that is both unique and relatable, and you have the formula for a great story idea.
Creative Spark: Writing Prompt Week 8
Story writing ideas are usually more fully developed than quick writing. It’s not unusual, for example, to start with a writing prompt, develop it into a story idea, and then write the actual story.
And don’t beat yourself up if the first thought that comes to mind is a cliché. You’re human, and it’s easy to think familiar thoughts. There is nothing wrong with that. A first idea is like a first draft, in that it gives you something to start with.
And don’t be afraid to mix it up – literally take one idea, combine it with another and play around with it for a while, who knows how you might juice up your story ideas without even trying.
The best fairy tale story ideas use timeless themes. You’ll find one or more of ten themes that follow in most stories that have been written, read, and shared over the centuries.
Short Story Prompts By Common Themes
The story idea itself – in its simplest form – doesn’t have to be original, and in fact it doesn’t have to be, but how you introduce and develop the idea should surprise your readers and It should create an emotional response in them.
Short story ideas will look different than novel ideas, though—primarily because short stories have to make a big impact with fewer words. And because of this, the most powerful short stories contain what James Scott Bell described as “a fleeting moment.”
In his book How to Write Short Stories and Use Them to Advance Your Writing Career, Bell describes this moment as “what happens to a character, an emotional explosion that he doesn’t ignore.” Can. It changes them in big or subtle ways – something that can’t be ignored.”
From any of the popular themes above, you can give your protagonist a cataclysmic moment that will change that character’s life or perspective.
Flash Fiction Writing Prompts & Short Story Ideas
Take a look at the following creative story ideas, many of which combine two or more of the popular themes listed, and feel free to modify any of them to create your next unforgettable short story.
1. Your character’s loved one dies, and while going through the loved one’s belongings, he discovers that the latter contains a terrible secret that is connected to your character’s deepest fears.
The rest of the story is about your character’s reaction to this discovery and how it affects relationships and decision-making.
2. Your character is married to someone she sees as her “soulmate.” During their honeymoon, he shows her a list of his goals for his first five years, and they have their first real argument over one of those goals—which requires something for her to do. He was never satisfied.
Quick Writing Prompts To Bring Your Character To Life — Derbyshire Writing School
He has flashbacks to their first date and the moment he first decided he was the one, but he sees it from her perspective now, and that changes everything.
3. Your orphaned character inherits a house and discovers that it is already possessed – by the spirits of the character’s long-lost parents, who are not at all like the ones described by the other relatives.
4. Your character has trouble controlling his anger at the wounds of the people who raised him and with whom he later had a failed relationship.
After losing his job, he embarks on a journey to turn his life around, but the journey is interrupted by the death of his parents – who have traumatized him the most.
Short Story Starter Prompts Workbook
When his best friend has dinner with him, tells him off, and leaves the company they founded together, your character is devastated by grief and does something different.
6. Your character is content with his life but suddenly inherits a large sum of money and a palatial estate on the East Coast.
He sees the inheritance as proof that the law of attraction works, and he invites family and a few close friends to follow him and share the wealth. Someone died on the first night of their stay.
7. Your character’s snake-loving neighbor is found in the stomach of his pet boa constrictor (who swears he’s a better “snigger” than his ex).
Fun Tastic! 330 Short Story Writing Prompts To Inspire • Journalbuddies.com
Shows up and leaves your character when he discovers that your neighbor is out of the house and everything in it. He threatened to destroy her life if she did not reach his home.
8. Your character meets his partner on a flight that almost doesn’t make it to the destination. They both respond to in-flight emergencies (one as a policeman and the other as a doctor).
Once at the airport, your character discovers that this soulmate has been having an affair with a well-known philanthropist. But your character feels something strange and calls Chanakya.
9. Your character’s best friend recently announced a break-up, and your character is surprised to find the friend in a celebratory mood (rather than heartbroken).
Fictional Narrative / Short Story
10. One of your character’s siblings is getting married, and during the wedding preparations, your character learns something he never wanted to know. This discovery changes his relationship with everyone.
11. The happy couple your character lives with dies in a freak accident, and when the parents show up for the funeral, you know the couple always changes the subject when you ask.
Short story prompts for adults, short story essay prompts, creative short story prompts, horror short story prompts, good short story prompts, writing prompts for a short story, sad short story prompts, fantasy short story prompts, short story ideas prompts, short story prompts, prompts for a story, short story prompts generator